Wednesday 14 March 2012

Baby Loss Buddies

This whole baby loss experience (for want of a better word) can be pretty isolating. Sometimes I feel like I want to cut myself off from the rest of the world and hide in my house with the curtains drawn. In reality, and especially if I do want to start trying to get my life back, I appreciate that that is not practical.  I do need to have some interaction with the outside world.

My husband and I are really lucky. We have some great friends who have been hugely supportive throughout this whole ordeal and offer to meet up with us whenever we want - we only have to ask. Here's the problem....they all (and I mean ALL) have babies or are pregnant. Some of them even have more than one baby. One of them has two...and she's now pregnant with twins (now that's just plain greedy in my view).

I find it too painful to be around babies or pregnant people at the moment - I'm already in enough pain without actively seeking out more by surrounding myself with reminders of what we have lost. So, I pretty much don't have anyone to hang out with in the outside world.

I mentioned this to my counsellor and she said "you need to get some new friends". I laughed and thought she was joking. I mean,  I'm 31...where the hell am I going to go and pick up some new friends?  Everyone already has their friends by the time they hit 30. I can't exactly walk into a bar and go and sit at a table with a bunch of random strangers and ask them to play with me...did she not see Bree try and fail at that in Desperate Housewives last week?

Turns out she wasn't joking and she wasn't proposing I pick up some new mates in a bar. She wanted me to get a new, very special kind of friend - the Baby Loss Buddy.  A Baby Loss Buddy is someone who (as the name suggests) has also lost a baby and so has been through the same experience as you. They are in the unique position of being able to understand exactly how you feel - without you even saying it - as they have been there themselves. With them you can say anything. There is no filter on the conversation as they will not judge you. They understand. Completely understand.

This sounded like a great idea but the only problem was, where do you find yourself one of these Baby Loss Buddies? My counsellor suggested getting in touch with a help group like ARC or SANDS and asking if they could put me in touch with someone.  As it happened, I am already a member of the ARC online support forum and someone on there had asked if anyone in London fancied meeting up for coffee. So, I tentatively replied.

Last weekend four of us met up for brunch. I was incredibly nervous when I walked into the cafe. Since hiding away at home for the past five months I've lost a lot of confidence and so meeting old friends, let alone new ones, seemed really daunting. I was also a slightly worried that we might all be a bit depressed and that hanging out together might bum us out even more.

I needn't have worried. All three of the girls were so nice and within a few minutes we were all chatting away like old friends. So many of the things they said resonated with me and it was a relief just to know that how I feel is normal. That they feel that way too.  It's too early to tell yet whether we are the types of people who would be friends were it not for the fact that we have all lost babies but for now, just having that in common is enough for each of us.

And when I walked out of the cafe it felt like a little bit of the weight had been lifted. I actually felt happier and definitely not so alone.  Losing William has been the worst thing I have ever been through and it is very hard to see any positives that could come out of this. But, perhaps I will now make a couple of special friends as a result and that would be nice.  I really hope that is the same for William too. Maybe the babies of my Baby Loss Buddies will make friends with William and he will have some mates to hang out with in Baby Heaven. That would be really cool.


2 comments:

  1. I think that's a great idea. After Drew was born, I connected with a few Baby Loss Buddies and it was really great, because you're right, they do feel how you feel and know exactly what you're saying when you say something. I really enjoyed it, but then both of them got pregnant and I stopped talking with them. I feel really terrible, but I had dinner a few times with the one during her pregnancy (it was hard, but I did it), but then once she had the baby, I just couldn't do it, so I really haven't talked to her since. The other one is currently pregnant and I just kind of keep ignoring her when she asks me to hang out. I feel like they of all people "get" how I must be feeling, but I still can't bring myself to be around them... and I feel terrible. It's kind of sad that I now need to make another group of friends... but finding a baby loss buddy who is currently struggling with infertility is a lot harder!

    I do hope you see your new buddies again though. For the months that I saw mine, it really did make me feel better, and a lot less isolated--I hope that happens for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate. I'm so sorry that you've been through this too. I totally understand what you say about it becoming difficult when others in the group get pregnant. I have thought about this already as two out of the four of us are TTC again. I have no idea what will happen or how I will handle it if someone gets pregnant. I would imagine, like you, I would find it too hard to see them again. I hope though, that they will understand and if I am lucky enough to get pregnant again then we would be able to meet up once more. It must be hard to put yourself out there and seek out some new BLB again - but one of the girls I met last weekend lost her little one 3 years ago. She has made and lost a few BLB during this period but came and met up with us newbies last weekend and it was lovely to talk to her. From my perspective it was actually really comforting - she is having fertility issues but she is 3 years down the line and to look at her and see she has it together and the pain, although still there, is not so heart rippingly raw, gave me a lot of comfort. Sending you a hug xxx

    ReplyDelete